Okay, so this is actually two-days-old-news: Tuesday I put that last period of my first draft. Total word count? 59,600. Twenty-four chapters. That’s after I cut out 3 chapters/8,000 words. A mixture of emotions flooded through me. I was excited at really being done (with the first draft anyway). I was surprised that I ended where I did (in my “outline” I ended somewhere else, but as I wrote this last chapter, it just clicked. THIS is where I had to end.) I was eager to start revising. I felt the immensity of the task of revision, but I’m ready to embrace it. Bring on the layers!
But first I had to grade some papers.
Yesterday I started with the first part of my revision process: reading the whole damn thing from start to finish, looking for things I missed, filling in scenes, changing my “usual suspects” of writing tics, working with word flow and language, adding in character and plot elements that I now know because of the ending, catching things I might have missed before . I’m three chapters in.
I’m not new to revision, but I am new to revising a work of this length. (Does revising my MA thesis count? I realize I have written a book-length manuscript before… but it was academic.) However, thanks to some amazing instructors and workshops (and thanks to some Tweets by authors on this process), I think I’m ready to go.
My game plan:
- Read through of entire MS from beginning to end, revising as I go.
- When that’s done, print the sucker out, with large margins, and have it spiral bound.
- Take out all my notes about revision and strategies and exercises to check the character and plot arcs.
- Read the MS again, looking at each chapter individually and as part of the whole, marking up the text.
- Incorporate changes into the document.
- Send out to beta readers and critique partners.
- Wait….and wait.
- Review feedback and make necessary changes.
- And then one last look from beginning to end. In between I’ll also be reading my chapters aloud at my critique group.
Does that sound like a good plan? I hope so! I’m curious to see how long this takes me. I don’t want to rush, but I’m determined to focus on this and finish before the new semester begins! My son’s in camp until the 10th. Summer classes end on the 5th. Fire is under my behind.
I. Will. Get. This. Done.
Anyone care to share your revision plans?