Ava’s excited to say goodbye to el Año Viejo–but will her shyness keep her from joining in the celebration?
Ava Gabriela is visiting her extended family in Colombia for the holidays. She’s excited to take part in family traditions such as making buñuelos, but being around all her loud relatives in an unfamiliar place makes Ava shy and quiet. How will Ava find her voice before she misses out on all the New Year’s fun?
Written by Alexandra Alessandri
Illustrated by Addy Rivera Sonda
Albert Whitman & Company
Jacketed Hardcover with Matte Lamination
Available wherever books are sold, including the following:
Signed copies available from Books & Books here while quantities last.
Teacher’s Guide: Feliz New Year, Ava Gabriela! has a teacher’s guide & activity kit!
Praise for Feliz New Year, Ava Gabriela!
“This gentle family story lets readers know that shyness is nothing to worry about.”–Kirkus Reviews, STARRED 🌟 REVIEW. Read the full review here.
“The book’s vibrant colors reflect the story’s celebratory mood, and the cartoon illustrations cushion Ava’s struggle with anxiety.”–Booklist. Read the full review here.
“This warm #OwnVoices look at Colombian traditions, including wearing yellow underwear and eating grapes for good luck, is both universal and deeply personal.”–School Library Journal. Read review here.
“The illustrations are bright and colorful, perfect for the lush farm setting of the story.”–Kristin Guay, Youth Services Book Review: Starred review! Read the full review here.
“…a great example of an #ownvoices diverse book that celebrates Colombian culture through a story that all readers can relate to.”–Sarah Bickel, Youth Services Book Review: Starred review! Read the full review here.
- Feliz New Year, Ava Gabriela! + 4 Qs with Debut #kidlit Author Alexandra Alessandri + a New Year’s #Giveaway, by Erin Dealey
- AW Author Chat at NCTE – Alexandra Alessandri
- UCLA Extension Success: Alexandra Alessandri Publishes Debut Picture Book
- Kidlit in Color blog, Alexandra Alessandri – Feliz New Year, Ava Gabriela!
- Jena Benton’s Simply 7 with Alexandra Alessandri–Feliz New Year, Ava Gabriela!
- Las Musas blog, Feliz Book Birthday, Alexandra Alessandri!
- Lynne Marie’s My Word Playground The Story Behind the Story of Feliz New Year, Ava Gabriela! by Alexandra Alessandri
- Tara Lazar’s blog Alexandra Alessandri’s Storystorm Success Story
Feliz New Year, Ava Gabriela! in the wild!
- Read Through South America, by Meghan Villhauer
- In Honor of Hispanic Heritage Month, Here Are the 20 New Fall Books From Latinx Writers
- Top 10 Latinx Books In Honor of Hispanic Heritage Month
- Ana — the Teacher & Writer, review: Feliz New Year, Ava Gabriela!
- Celebrate Picture Books, review: October 7 – It’s Hispanic Heritage Month
- Kiddingly, review: Feliz New Year, Ava Gabriela – Children’s Book Review
- The Horn Book Guide – Book Bundles: Winter Holidaze by Kitty Flynn
- Winter picture books that celebrate freedom and tradition for all kinds of young readers, by Pamela Kramer
- Feliz New Year, Ava Gabriela! By Alexandra Alessandri Illustrated by Addy Rivera Sonda, Picturebooks4learning
- Picture Books to Celebrate the New Year
- Marnie’s Spanish 101: Feliz Año Nuevo!, The Public Library
- 25 #ownvoices Books for Kids by Hillary Bird
- Book Review: Feliz New Year, Ava Gabriela! by Alexandra Alessandri, illustrated by Addy Rivera Sonada, Latinxs in Kidlit
- Why Children Need to See Themselves in Books by Valerie Bolling, International Literacy Association
- Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month in a Book! 25 Great Novels, Cookbooks, Memoirs and More by Latinx Authors by Lola Méndez, Parade
- 4 COOL #NewYears books + 1 bonus idea= 5 EASY activities & New Year fun for #teachers, #homeschool, #librarians & young readers everywhere by Erin Dealey
Awards & Nominations
- Bronze Medal in The Mariposa Awards Best First Book – Children & Youth, 2021 International Latino Book Awards
- Silver Medal in Young Children’s Literature, 2020 Florida Book Awards
- Cybils Awards Nominee