My calendar for the 2022-2023 academic year is now full.
However, I’m starting to book school visits for the 2023-2024 school year! I’m available for school and library presentations, festivals, conferences, and other speaking engagements.
In-Person and Virtual Author Visit Options
I love talking with budding writers! As a writing professor and author who is a child of immigrants, I love getting students excited about creating stories and poems. I offer both in-person* and virtual visits on a variety of topics, including the writing process, my book journeys, and the influence my family and culture have had on my work. I also love leading students through craft workshops so they can leave empowered to create their own stories and/or poetry. Sample presentation and workshop descriptions are below.
While my books are for kids ages 4-8 and 8-12, I teach English composition and creative writing at the college level and can tailor many of the sessions to older students, including high schoolers and adults!
To schedule in-person or virtual visits please contact me!
*Note: In-person visits are limited to Miami-Dade County, Florida with some select Broward County availability; however, I will continue to offer virtual school visits throughout the year.
Rates for the 2022-2023 school year
- Full day: $1,000, includes 3 presentations and/or workshops up to 60 minutes each. Full day visits include “lunch with the author” for a smaller group, like a book club, or a book signing if desired.
- Half day: $750, includes 2 presentations and/or workshops up to 60 minutes each.
- Single presentation or workshop: $400, up to 75 minutes.
- Lunch with the author: $150, great for small groups or clubs up to 15 students. Free with full day visit.
- Storytime/Q&A with small craft: $200, up to 30 minutes, or free with purchase of 10 or more books.
For travel outside of Miami-Dade and Broward County, travel expenses (transportation, lodging, etc.) will be added to the above fees.
FREE OR DISCOUNTED VISITS: Select school visits may be free, pending schedule availability:
- Title I schools are eligible for discounted visits. Travel restrictions apply.
- Classes who order 30 or more copies of my book(s) are eligible for free visits (one presentation), with proof of purchase; copies must be ordered prior to the scheduled event. Travel restrictions apply.
- Teachers who are using my book(s) in the classroom are eligible for free 15-minute virtual Q&A sessions, which can be conducted in English, Spanish, or Spanglish. Students must have read the book(s) before the session.
Books & Resources
Books for kids ages 4-8:
- Feliz New Year, Ava Gabriela! about a girl who’s visiting her extended family in Colombia for the holidays, but whose too-shy voice threatens to make her miss out on all the fun.
- Isabel and Her Colores Go to School, written in English and Spanish, this is a universal story about feeling new and making new friends despite language barriers.
- Lupita’s Hurricane Palomitas – COMING SPRING 2024
Books for kids ages 8-12:
- The Enchanted Life of Valentina Mejía a middle grade fantasy adventure being pitched as “Encanto meets The Chronicles of Narnia by way of Colombian folklore.
- Grow Up, Luchy Zapata – COMING SUMMER 2024
Check out the FREE TEACHER RESOURCES for all my books here; these include educators guides, activities, craft videos, and readalouds.
Sample Presentation/Workshop Descriptions
Storytime/Q&A with small craft or mini-workshop
This presentation includes a reading of one book, a small craft or brief writing workshop, and time for a Q&A. This presentation can be tailored for all ages and is best suited for smaller groups.
My Book Journey
This presentation focuses on one book and its journey from idea to publication. I will read from the book and share how I came up with the idea, some early drafts of the story (doodles and all!), and early cover and illustration sketches. Presentation will end with a short brainstorming exercise and a Q&A. This presentation can be tailored for all ages, and can be presented to larger or small groups.
This workshop is perfect for smaller groups. Where do writers find their inspiration? Where do ideas come from? In this interactive workshop, students will engage in some focused free writing and creative exercises to help them brainstorm story and character ideas. Then, we’ll make up a collective story using the ideas generated in the workshop!
This workshop is best for grades 4 and up. Workshops are ideal for smaller groups, like individual classrooms or bookclubs.
Where I’m From Poetry Workshop
Calling all student poets! The “Where I’m From” poem is one of my favorites–you can see my own poem here in the Young Adult Review Network. In this workshop, perfect for smaller groups, I will guide students through the active brainstorming and writing of a Where I’m From, including crafting strong concrete, sensory imagery, and using sound elements to create rhythm. Students will have the opportunity to share their poems at the end of the workshop.
This workshop is best for grades 3 and up. Workshops are ideal for smaller groups, like individual classrooms or bookclubs.
Colombia is Magic: Virtual Road Trip throughout Colombia
In this interactive presentation, students will take a road trip throughout Colombia, learning about its landmarks, flora, fauna, people, music, history, and celebrations! This presentation can be tailored for all ages, and can be presented to larger or small groups.
Have an idea for a workshop that’s not listed here or want a mashup of several of the above? Contact me! I’d love to work with you to create a session that’s perfect for you.