Available now as an English and Spanish Edition (Hardcover)!
English, with its blustery blues and whites, just feels wrong to Isabel. She prefers the warm oranges and pinks of Spanish. As she prepares for class at a new school, she knows she’s going to have to learn–and she would rather not! Her first day is uncomfortable, until she discovers there’s more than one way to communicate with friends. This is a universal story about feeling new and making new friends.
Written by Alexandra Alessandri
Illustrated by Courtney Dawson
Publisher: Sleeping Bear Press
ISBN 13: 978-1534110632
Grades K-3rd; ages 5-8
Add to Goodreads
Check out the FREE downloadable bookmark activity page here.
Watch ISABEL AND HER COLORES book trailer.
Signed copies available now at:
Signed and personalized copies will only be available through my local indie! I’ll be dropping by Books & Books when Isabel releases.
Also available at:
Praise for Isabel and Her Colores Go to School
“A first-day-of-school story steeped in vibrant imagery…This story affirms the experiences of English language learners while encouraging empathy for others…Readers will root for Isabel and her colorful new beginning.”–Kirkus Reviews. Read the full review here.
“Alessandri and Dawson fill the book with colors, both visually and in the words, which helpfully signal the emotions that Isabel, who loves to draw with an expansive palette, experiences over the course of the day…Pleasantly rounded characters add to the welcoming atmosphere, as does the message that art can bridge divides.”–Sarah Hunter, Booklist. Read the full review here.
“This synesthesia-inflected tale helps teach colors while simultaneously buoying those nervous about language barriers.”–Publishers Weekly. Read the full review here.
“This first day of school story beautifully serves as a mirror for children learning English and as a window into their experience for their classmates…VERDICT A bilingual story sure to resonate with ELL students and instill empathy in their classmates.”–Emily Brush, School Library Journal, STARRED 🌟 review! Read the full review here.
Isabel and Her Colores Go to School Interviews, Reviews, & More!
- Imagination Soup Essential Back to School Books (About School, Friendship, Feelings, & Identity)
- Beagles and Books: What are you reading? 7/26/21
- Erin Dealey: https://www.erindealey.com/book-birthday/happy-book-birthday-to-isabel-and-her-colores-go-to-school-5-qs-for-alexandra-alessandri-a-giveaway/Happy Book Birthday to ISABEL AND HER COLORES GO TO SCHOOL + 5Qs for Alexandra Alessandri + a #Giveaway
- 50 Back-to-School Books About Mighty Girls’ Adventures at Elementary School
- Darlene Back-Jacobson Review – Author Alexandra Alessandri has a new PB: Isabel and Her Colors Go To School
- Jena Benton’s Simply 7 with Alexandra Alessandri – “Isabel and Her Colores Go to School“
- Latinxs in Kidlit Q&A with Alexandra Alessandri about her new book Isabel and Her Colores Go to School, illus. by Courtney Dawson
- Las Musas Happy Book Birthday to Isabel and Her Colores Go to School!
- Celebrate Picture Books – Isabel and Her Colores Go to School Blog Tour Stop
- Kidlit in Color Blog/Interview – Alexandra Alessandri – Isabel and Her Colores Go to School
- The Tiny Activist IG Live Interview Chatting with author Alexandra Alessandri
- Cover Reveal of ISABEL AND HER COLORES GO TO SCHOOL on the Las Musas blog
- Tamara Girardi’s 12 Months of Books Challenge: Bringing Books to Kids All Year Long
- 2021 Titles By/For/About Latinx, Latinxs in Kidlit